Corona: Current information on your semester abroad in Australia, Canada and the US
The corona virus is spreading and the daily developments present challenges for those who have planned a semester abroad. In order to ensure that you are always up to date regarding COVID-19, we would like to provide you with useful information about studying abroad at our universities in Australia, Canada and the US. (All statements without guarantee)
For all students currently planning a study abroad term and still needing to submit an English language test – from March 26th onwards, the TOEFL test will be available as an online test for students in some European countries (Germany, France, Spain, Italy). Further information is available here.
Since March 13th, 2020, a 30 day travel ban has been put in place for citizens from the Schengen area into the United States. This means that all students from the affected area cannot enter the US during this time to start their semester abroad.
Current information on the immigration can be found here:
For the months March (since 13.03.2020) up to and including August 2020, all face-to-face courses were converted into online courses, so the lectures continue to take place, but in a modified form. So far, it is still planned to conduct the courses as face-to-face courses on campus from September 2020 onwards. The university’s refund policy has not changed, you will of course get the fees already paid back if you cannot / do not want to start your semester abroad as planned.
Semester abroad from September 2020 onwards:
If you are planning a stay abroad in California for the coming semester (from September 2020), please continue to apply to National University as planned. You can find more information about the application process here.
Are you already applying at National University? Hand in either one of the usual English test or one of these two options: Online TOEFL or the Duolingo English certificates – they will be accepted if the test date is before August 31st.
Students who would like to study abroad in 2020 have the following options:
- Postpone the semester abroad to a later start date
- Participation in online courses
Defering the starting date:
If you would like to postpone your semester abroad, please fill in the deferment form and send it to our office by email. You do not need to apply for a new visa, but can enter the US with the current visa and a new I-20 form which will be sent to you by National University.
Participating in online courses:
Please send your new or modified course choice in the form of the non-degree form by email to our office. You will be enrolled accordingly in the desired courses and will receive further information on login, course schedule, etc. on the Sunday before the course starts. You can find an overview of all online classes offered here.
Cancel semester abroad & refund policy:
If you would like to cancel your semester due to the current situation, please inform us and our local colleagues immediately about your decision. Please proceed as follows:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and inform my colleagues that you would like to return to your home country (including the date of the return flight) and that you would like to cancel your semester
- To get the money back, please state the number of courses you cannot attend due to the current situation and indicate that you would like to receive the money back
- My colleagues will then contact you and arrange the refund
- If you paid via Flywire, the money should be back in your account within about a week
To order your transcripts, please create an account through the Parchment Website found here. Once your account is created, please email ISA@nu.edu with the following information: Name, Student ID, Confirmation Parchment account has been created, Address or email address you would like your official transcripts to be sent to
The confirmation email must be received within 10 days of your last day of class to avoid any delays in processing. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact email@example.com for assistance.
Please check with your home institution if they are accepting electronic transcripts and if so, it is best to send them to an official email address or to your contact person directly. Printed transcripts are currently not available due to the current situation but will be printed and send out as soon as possible (ca. September 2020).
Current information from the National University can be found at:
Updated: June 05th, 2020
The University of North Carolina Wilmington offers all lectures as online courses starting March 23, 2020. The online courses can of course also be accessed from Germany. You will receive full credit for the online courses you have successfully completed. Please contact your instructor at UNCW for all details concerning the modalities of the online classes.
Consistent with UNC System guidance, housing and dining meal plans will be refunded based on a start date of March 23, 2020, which was the day after the deadline for students to vacate their residence halls if they had not received exceptions to remain on campus. Please find more detailes information on the refund policy here: https://uncw.edu/news/2020/04/notice-housing-dining-refunds.htm
For students planning a semester abroad in August 2020 or January 2021, the following applies:
- Apply for your semester abroad as planned
- The winter semester is starting Aug 19 as planned. Please be aware that the academic calendar has undergone minor changes. Find changes here.
- The Refund Policy at UNCW has not changed until further notice – all information on this can be found on the UNCW website. In most cases, payment is only required 4-6 weeks before the start of the semester abroad, which is usually 100% refundable if for reasons beyond the students’ control (either the US government or your government prevents you from traveling due to COVID).
- Should you not be able to get an English Test at this point in time, you can hand it in later – UNCW accepts both the Online TOEFL and the online-test Duolingo
Further information and current information can be found here:
As of March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada has banned foreign nationals from entering Canada. For further information, please visit this website monitored by the Canadian government:
Students planning on enrolling in the September 2020 or January 2021 term
- Please submit your application as soon as possible
- Should you currently be unable to obtain certified copies from your home institution, please send us scanned copies of your application documents
- Study abroad students: should you be unable to sit an English language test, please submit your English Proficiency Test results by July 31, 2020 (for fall 2020) / November 30 (for spring 2021) – both online TOEFL and Duolingo are accepted by VIU
- VIU is transitioning to a hybrid education model for the September 2020 intake. You can find an overview of which programs are offered online/which offer face-to-face classes here. For more information on hybrid delivery, please click here.
- Should you be unable to come to Canada for reasons beyond your control (either the Canadian government or your government prevents you from traveling due to COVID), full refunds will be made (incl. health insurance). Students also have the option to defer to January 2021 or September 2021, also the application for student housing.
- If partner school requires student to cancel due to COVID : There will be a 100% refund, as per COVID policy. VIU would need a confirmation letter from the partner school.
- If there are no travel restrictions and partner school allows student/parent to make the decision whether to start the semester at VIU, and there are no COVID-related medical grounds, up to 75% refund will be granted.
- Our refund policy has been updated to reflect these changes.
- This only applies to students whose programs, at the time of application, are available on campus but are subsequently changed to alternate delivery
- Please visit our FAQ page for useful information on your program start in fall 2020
Please find more information on the VIU website:
Updated: June 23, 2020
A travel ban has been placed on all non-residents and non-Australian citizens coming to Australia, effective from March, 20th 9pm. The government is currently planning to open the borders for international students.
For students who are currently at the International College of Management, Sydney:
- Transition to Online Study from Monday 23 March
- All lectures will be offered on Zoom and Moodle until the end of the term
- All ICMS Master’s degrees in July will be offered online. Students have the flexibility to start their ICMS journey online in their home country and come to Australia when the boarders are open
For students planning a semester abroad in July, September or October 2020:
- Apply for your studies abroad as planned
- If you currently do not receive certified copies from your home university, you can send us scans and send the originals as soon as you receive them
- The borders are expected to be reopened to international students in the coming weeks, therefore we recommend that you apply for a student visa as soon as you received your CoE (visa applications are likely to be processed after the date of submission)
- If you later want to move your studies from September to February or another intake, there is a possibility that you will have to repeat the visa request and pay again.
- You must be in quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Australia. ICMS organizes the airport transfer and quarantine in a hotel in Sydney for you (students may be charged). After your 14 days of quarantine you will be tested twice, if both tests are negative, you can exit quarantine. If not, you have to stay at the hotel.
- If you get sick, your compulsory OSHC insurance covers the treatment.
- The semester start in September and October may also be postponed to the beginning of November (I will keep you posted as soon as a decision has been made)
- contact us regarding your refund policy
Further information and current information can be found here:
For further information please give us a call via:
Our team will be happy to advise you on your study opportunities in Sydney, Vancouver Island, California and North Carolina free of charge and without obligation.