Corona: Current information on your semester abroad in Australia, Canada and the US
The corona virus is spreading and the daily developments present challenges for those who have planned a semester abroad. In order to ensure that you are always up to date regarding COVID-19, we would like to provide you with useful information about studying abroad at our universities in Australia, Canada and the US. (All statements without guarantee)
For all students currently planning a study abroad term and still needing to submit an English language test – from March 26th onwards, the TOEFL test will be available as an online test for students in some European countries (Germany, France, Spain, Italy). Further information is available here.
Information by country:
Apply for your semester abroad as planned. The Fall semester 2022 should take place as planned with face-to-face and online events on campus in the USA.
For students planning a semester abroad in August 2022, the following applies:
- Beginning November 8, 2021, all J-1 exchange visitor applicants (age 18 or older at the time of travel) will be required to show proof of vaccination prior to arrival in the United States, subject to limited exceptions
- Additionally, students will also be required to show a negative COVID-19 viral test or antigen test prior to travel as well.
- The Refund Policy at UNCW has not changed until further notice – all information on this can be found on the UNCW website. In most cases, payment is only required 4-6 weeks before the start of the semester abroad, which is usually 100% refundable if for reasons beyond the students’ control (either the US government or your government prevents you from traveling due to COVID).
- Should you not be able to get an English Test at this point in time, you can hand it in later – UNCW accepts both the Online TOEFL and the online-test Duolingo
- You will be tested for COVID-19 once you come to UNCW. Should you be tested positive, you will need to quarantine for 5 days on campus with free food. If you are tested negative, you will be able to proceed to your dorm immediately. A test from your home country has no validity – you will be tested again at UNCW. However, there will be no extra costs. Further information on this can be found here: https://uncw.edu/bestnest/isolation_quarantine_update_2022.html
Further information and current information can be found here:
Update: From January 2022, a semester abroad in attendance at the National University in San Diego will no longer be possible. New I-20s will no longer be issued to students who wish to study at the National University on or after January 1st, 2022; all I-20s already issued with a start date in 2022 will be cancelled.
Students who are currently already on site and have started their program or who will begin their program in 2021 can continue their studies as planned. However, it is no longer possible to extend your stay.
Future students who would like to spend a semester abroad at the National University San Diego from January 2022 can transfer their application to the City University Seattle (Washington State) and can there at the same conditions as we at the National University (tuition fees, admission requirements, etc. .) if the course is started by October 1st, 2022 at the latest. It will still be possible to take the National University’s online courses; please note, however, that online courses do not entitle you to enter the USA on a student visa.
We very much regret the National University’s decision and are always happy to answer any questions you may have. You are also welcome to use our additional virtual meetings to get in touch with us and talk about your options (e.g. at City University Seattle).
To order your transcripts, please create an account through the Parchment Website found here. Once your account is created, please email ISA@nu.edu with the following information: Name, Student ID, Confirmation Parchment account has been created, Address or email address you would like your official transcripts to be sent to
The confirmation email must be received within 10 days of your last day of class to avoid any delays in processing. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Please check with your home institution if they are accepting electronic transcripts and if so, it is best to send them to an official email address or to your contact person directly.
Updated: October 22, 2021
In September 2021, the Government of Canada has reopened its borders to international, fully vaccinated visitors. For further information, please visit this website monitored by the Canadian government: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada
VIU is offering most classes face-to-face. Information on which programs/classes will be delivered on campus is available via the timetable.
Students planning on enrolling/enrolled in the September 2022 term
- Please submit your application as soon as possible to secure a spot at Vancouver Island University
- VIU has been offering in-person classes since September 2021
- VIU will fopr the time being be accepting CAEL Online and TOEFL iBT Home Edition tests as proof of English proficiency for admission. Note that an in-person English test may be required for study permit applications
- Asymptomatic fully vaccinated students are no longer required to quarantine. The final decision will be made by the immigration officials upon arrival. Students will still have to submit a 14 day quarantine plan. Detailed information can be found on the IRCC website.
- Should students be unable to come to Canada for reasons beyond their control (either the Canadian government or the students’ government prevents them from traveling due to COVID), or if classes are only offered online, full refunds will be made (incl. health insurance). The refund amount will be less Administrative fees of $200 and any related banking charges deducted during transmission and must be submitted via email to email@example.com. Students also have the option to defer to September 2023 or January 2023, also the application for student housing.
- If partner school requires student to cancel due to COVID : There will be a 100% refund less administrative fees of $200, as per COVID policy. VIU would need a confirmation letter from the partner school.
- Our refund policy has been updated to reflect these changes.
- This only applies to students whose programs, at the time of application, are available on campus but are subsequently changed to alternate delivery
- Please visit our FAQ page for useful information
Please find more information on the VIU website:
Updated: March 29, 2022
Borders have reopened to international students on December 15th, 2021. Students need to have a valid student visa, be fully vaccinated with a recognized TGA vaccine and have a negative PCR test, which must not be older than 72 hours or a rapid antigen test, which must not be older than 24 hours.
For students planning a semester abroad in February 2022:
- Apply for your studies abroad as planned and hand in your remaining documents as soon as possible
- Apply for your student visa as soon as possible so that you receive your visa on time
- Book your flight to Australia and let us know the date of entry
- Bachelor and Master subjects will be offered online and on Campus
- Since 15 December 2021, fully vaccinated eligible visa holders can now travel to Australia
- students need a valid student visa
- you must be fully vaccinated with one of the TGA accepting vaccines
- You have to provide proof of a negative PCR test, which must not be older than 72 hours or a rapid antigen test, which must not be older than 24 hours at departure
- According to the current status, there is no quarantine for international students in the state of NSW
- If you were unable to complete your studies within your original visa validity period due to COVID-19, you can submit another application for your student visa free of charge. More information on the government’s current announcement can be found here: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/student-visa
- The compulsory OSHC insurance covers COVID-19 treatment.
- please find a pre-departure checklist and further arrival information here: https://www.study.sydney/return/pre-departure/_nocache
Further information and current information can be found here:
Updated: April 11th, 2022
For further information please give us a call via:
Our team will be happy to advise you on your study opportunities in Sydney, Vancouver Island, California and North Carolina free of charge and without obligation.