Study Abroad in the US: National University Application
Due to National University’s flexible one-course-per-month format, students can start most programs in the beginning of any month throughout the year. Application documents should be sent to our European International Student Office.
To be sure that you have sufficient time to organize your visa, flight, health insurance, and accommodations, applications and documents should be sent at least 4-6 months prior to your preferred start date. If you wish to study at National University for a semester abroad, please contact your home university’s international office for individual application deadlines
Step by step guide for your application at National University
To apply at National University, you can either contact your home institution’s international office (e.g. semester abroad) or contact us directly (e.g. free-mover or full-time students). You will receive an email with all the important information as well as the link to our online application portal. Please find a detailled instruction on how to fill in the online application correctly here.
Step 1: Registration
Start your application by registering online with your personal details and an email address that you frequently check. Enter your information, including your desired NU program, prior education, and visa status. Click SUBMIT at the end.
IMPORTANT! Please do NOT use special characters such as umlauts (ä, ö, ü), “ß,” or accents in all statements as these letters cannot be processed by this system.
For questions about the documents to be submitted, please contact us directly. We are happy to assist you at + 49 (0) 6151 9674 666 or via email.
Step 2: Application Fee
The application fee of $ 65 USD will be waived for all international students- You will be forwarded automatically to step 3 within 24 hours.
Step 3: Upload your documents
Please upload the following application documents as a scan in the Online Portal:
- Proof of English Proficiency: TOEFL, IELTS, DAAD, Cambridge Certificate, English Language Program of NU
- Certified copies of official university transcripts and other higher education certificates in English as well as in their original language. For Master semester abroad students we require the Bachelor Transcript incl. courses and grades as well as the Bachelor Certificate (diploma) – each in English and including the stamp and signature of the home institution
- Affidavit of Support (Section A-D) Current bank statement for tuition and living expenses of $33,500 USD for a full degree, $4,000 per course for a semester abroad. Upload only if your bank does not fill in Affidavit of Support – Section C.
- Non Degree Verification Form incl. your choice of courses (2 courses per month of study abroad only from Excel course list)
- Valid passport copy
Step 4: Orientation
If accepted to National University, you will be required to attend an orientation session. After the session, please complete step 4 and indicate that you participated and click SUBMIT.
Step 5: Verified copies
After uploading the documents to the Online Portal, please send the following documents as verified copies via mail to the address of the International Student Office of National University:
- Proof of English proficiency
- Transcripts of home insititution in English (including stamp and signature)
- For master’s students, send a diploma as well as the transcript of records from the bachelor’s degree issued in English
Send all documents to:
International Student Office
FAQs Application process
What information do I enter about my studies abroad?
Please always note that you will be a “full time” student as you are enrolled as a full-time student with an F-1 visa. For a Bachelor’s study abroad semester, you should always enter “Undergraduate Non Degree Student”. Master’s students should enter “Graduate Non Degree Student”.
Please note that your start date is the month in which you will take your first class, not the month in which you participate in your mandatory orientation.
How much school information do I have to enter?
Your university education is sufficient. You do not have to enter elementary or high school here.
I am receiving an error message after step 1
Please check if you have used any special characters such as umlauts (ä, ö, ü) or a “ß.” Remove all special characters, then try again.
Address and Emergency Contact
Please make sure that you fill in all of your details – street, house number, ZIP code, and city – so that your immigration documents will be sent to the correct address.
Please also enter all address details as well as the telephone number of your emergency contact.
Details about your application
Please make sure that you enter the following information: Registering via the European Office of National University in Germany.
What happens if I want to postpone my start date?
Please go to step 4 and click “Deferment to Another Start Date.” You will then be redirected to step 1. Here you must reenter your details and press SUBMIT. If you have already received an I-20, you will receive a new one.
What happens if I enter wrong information but cannot change it?
Please contact the International Student Office.